Thyatira is believed to be the oldest Presbyterian Church west of the Yadkin River. In fact, it is one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in North Carolina, and is known as the "Mother of Presbyterianism" in North Carolina. It is located in Rowan County, ten miles west of Salisbury on Highway 150, in the Mill Bridge community. A land entry dated 1750 in Anson County records reveals that a "meeting House and burial ground" were in existence here by that date. This means the meeting house was probably in existence as early as 1747. For many years it was known as Cathey's Meeting House. The name was changed to Thyatira Church during the pastorate of Dr. Samuel McCorkle, in the late eighteenth century.
Thyatira's historical cemetery dates back to the mid-1700s. The oldest known stone is that of a settler who died in 1755. Four stones with skull and crossbones are popular with local school children. Our cemetery continues to be used and cared for. In 2003 an urn field and scatter garden were added. Visitors come and research their ancestral history.
Thyatira's museum, built in the early 1980's by the generosity of Locke and Pauline McCorkle Neel, houses many artifacts dating back to the founding of the church. Tours may be given by appointment